Thursday, November 29, 2012

I hear wedding bells!





Yes, you read that right! There is going to be a wedding in the family!! My oldest brother Erik is going to married to Patty, a lovely girl who lives just down the road from him in Kentucky. Over the past two years since Erik moved, they have become very good friends, and Erik has found her family to be a "second family" to him long before he pursued Patty. Her older brother is his best friend, and he has a close relationship with the whole family. For a long time, however, there were a lot of reasons why the two of them being together didn't seem like it could ever be a possibility. God, in his sovereignty, held off the relationship until they were ready, and now it has flourished into something beautiful. They truly have become best friends.
Erik Ryan and Patricia Machell
I knew he was planning on proposing and I've been waiting eagerly to write this post, but the proposal itself caught all of us off guard! He was planning something closer to Christmas, but then changed his mind as Thanksgiving approached, since we were having her whole family in our home for Thanksgiving. Our family likes to go around the table and say what we're thankful for after the dinner, and so he confided only in our mom and they "conspired" to have him sit with Patty in a little bench, last in the line-up giving thanks.

"Beloved, I must know: will you marry me??"
When his turn came, he told us that God has brought a lot of change to his life the past year and that he'd like to read a poem he wrote for this occasion. At this moment her sister and I looked at each other with wide eyes and jaws dropped! As he began the poem, he spoke of God's work in his life and other things, so we lost our suspicion. But then the poem changed direction and spoke of her. At the end he got down on one knee, lifted up the ring, and ended with the final line, "Beloved, I must know: will you marry me?"

These are courtship pictures - they courted for just five weeks before engagement!
Well, she said yes of course. And now we're all talking of weddings and such! Soon I will have a sister (in-law). How amazing! I am so thankful that God has given me such a brother and such a sister-to-be.


They can't seem to get enough of looking at each other!

And here are some pictures of just the bride-to-be.



And some cute faces!




Congratulations Erik and Patty! :)

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! They make a beautiful couple and the way they look at eachother in the photos is so sweet.
    I am 19 and trusting in the Lord's timing for a husband so this is encouraging.

    Have a blessed day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That is sweet! That is so neat that your brother is getting married! I'm sure you are all very excited :) Congrats to your oldest brother and his bride-to-be!!!
    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How sweet! I know that he and you are very excited!

    ReplyDelete