Friday, September 30, 2011

Restored dreams

Lately I have been thinking thoughts that I haven't thought in a while. Somehow, as a teenager in our modern culture, I've lost the vision I used to have for my life. When I was a little girl, all I wanted out of life was to be a godly wife and mother, and to have a simple, loving home. But, of course, ideas like that are "out-of-date" and repugnant to us these days. After all, isn't it absolutely vital for women to go to college and have a thriving career? She could get married later on if she really wanted to, and maybe have a baby... but only as a supplement to a successful career. Being a homemaker is demeaning to women. Equality of the sexes! Women's rights! Our culture flaunt feminism, instead of femininity.

The Bible, however, has a different approach. Titus 2:4-5 says, "...admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed." Also, 1 Timothy 5:14, which encourages, "Therefore I desire that the younger women marry, bear children, manage the house, give no opportunity to the adversary to speak reproachfully,"

This is what we were created for. This is the pattern of scripture. From the very beginning mankind was told, "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh," and, "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it; and have dominion over... the earth." (Genesis 2:24 and 1:28) And, this is a beautiful thing!

Often it's easy to be repulsed by the idea of submission, or "gentleness and quietness of spirit" because it's easy to misunderstand these concepts. Submission does not mean being beneath or lower in value. Jesus Christ is in submission to God the Father! It's a joyful position that has blessing and value equal to the position of leadership. Gentleness and quietness does not mean somber, oppressed silence. To be gentle is to not be harsh, to be considerate and kind. Even men are commanded to be gentle. (1 Timothy 6:11) In order to have a quiet spirit, we must quell the clamor in our hearts. Vanquishing all fear, anxiety, hurry, stress, and worry will cause our spirit to finally be quiet enough for us to hear God's still, small voice. I don't know about you, but I think that sounds wonderful, not oppressive!

The Bible doesn't encourage wimpy, whiny, helpless women(even though many people think it does). On the contrary, radiant and courageous femininity is commanded! Reading proverbs 31, you will find that the godly woman is diligent and strong, yet wonderfully selfless. She works hard and is strong for purpose of serving others, not for pursuing her own plans.

Before I end this post, I want to say that the Bible is not opposed to women having a job outside of the home. Deborah, for example, was a judge. (Judges 4) What I would like to do is dispel the false ideas that we as women often have towards scriptural instruction to us, and to point out that marriage is the norm in scripture, not career.

God has a specific, unique plan chosen for each of his daughters. He has restored my dreams of courageous femininity, and I hope He will give you that vision, as well.

6 comments:

  1. Phenominal post Christy! Thank you so much for the reminder to a wife and soon to be Mama that this has always been my dream and what an amazing place it is when God puts us...at home! And yes, it is possible to even serve Him here! Awesome post :)
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I just found your blog, and I'm following you :)
    Check out my blog, It's a Love Story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement. I love to see your passion for Christ at such a young age, and this is a great reminder to all of us. I am a friend of Christina Francis, another young woman of God!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Christy! Wow... this world really has some messed up views on femininity. The verses you shared really hit home for me personally. =) While the culture says we should "do something with our lives" as if homemaking is a waste of time, I want to be a wife and mom some day. Stay true to what God's Word says, and He will use you in your home in amazing ways! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I loved this post Christy! I totally understand the pressures of this world for women to think of their careers first. I've even felt the pressure in my own family. But Dustin and I both really feel the call that I need to be a stay-at-home wife and to choose a college degree that I want, not need. Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete