Tuesday, January 31, 2012

God's Glorious Word

Tonight I am feeling very thoughtful. I guess that's partly owing to the fact that I've been reading some great books these past few days. Here's a section of the first book of the wonderful series: Elsie Dinsmore.

[Speaking of the Bible] "Do you really love it so, Rose?" asked Adelaide, lifting her eyes to her friend's face with an expression of astonishment; "Do tell me why?"
"For its exceeding great and precious promises, Adelaide; for its holy teachings; for its offers of peace and pardon and eternal life. I am a sinner, Adelaide, lost, ruined, helpless, hopeless, and the Bible brings me the glad news of salvation offered as a free, unmerited gift; it tells me that Jesus died to save sinners - just such sinners as I. I find that I have a heart deceitful above all things and desperately wicked, and the blessed Bible tells me how that heart can be renewed, and where I can obtain that holiness without which no man shall see the Lord. I find myself utterly unable to keep God's holy law, and it tells me of One who has kept it for me. I find that I deserve the wrath and curse of a justly offended God, and it tells me of Him who was made a curse for me. I find that all my righteousnesses are as filthy rags, and it offers me the beautiful spotless robe of Christ's perfect righteousness. Yes, it tells me that God can be just and the justifier of him who believes in Jesus."

I guess that's all I have to say for now... God is working in my heart and tearing down idols. He is good, as ever! Hope you're having a great week my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Too cool! I am actually about to finish book 5 of that series. I got it a long time ago and have read them before but I decided to start them again. It's a great series!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it?? I've only read the first 2, but I am hoping to get more from the library. It's nice to know someone else likes them too :)

    ReplyDelete