Wednesday, March 7, 2012

All things

Romans 8:28 says, 
 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, 
to those who are the called according to His purpose."

That's a promise.

But, we all face situations in life where we think, "Surely, this can NOT be good!"

Well, that may be true. But read the verse again - slowly. Does is promise that every single thing that happens will be good? No, it says that everything will work together for good. What's the difference?

Let me explain. 

Suppose you came to my house around supper time one evening, completely famished. "Christy, I am starving, can I have something to eat?" you say. 
I reply, "Sure! I'll get you a cup of flour." 
"Umm... eww?! That doesn't sound very good."
"No? How about a teaspoon of salt - that has more flavor."
"No, that wouldn't be any better?"
"What about some baking soda? That will really wake you up!"
*Blank stare*
"Oh, and then we'll wash it down with a big cup of Crisco oil... mmm. Finally, you can drink some buttermilk."
"Christy, all those things sound absolutely disgusting! Why in the world would anyone want to eat them?!"
"Well, how about if we mix them all together and make biscuits?"
"Ohhhh...."

You see, when you look at your life, you may see a bunch of bland-tasting flour, sickening oil, and bitter baking soda. You may wonder, how is God going to use all this for good? But God has the recipe; you don't. Lately I've been challenged to just trust that He's going to use every single thing to make something amazing out of my life. Even when I can't see, by faith I will believe that all things work together for good to those who love God.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Christy...I never thought of it that way! Very powerful and something to really think about. I never thought of it like a recipe! That is really neat :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lizzie! That's really neat, when you think of it that way! Thanks for sharing!

    In Christ,
    Karissa Noelle♥

    ReplyDelete